This Beneficio has been part of Carmo Coffees since 2014 and is a purchasing and processing centre located in the city of Helidora, at the site of Fazenda Floresta. This processing plant allows the smaller local producers to deliver their cherry to the mill where Carmo can help apply their expertise in processing, as well as use their 'New Flavours' program to create diverse and interesting cup profiles. This allows farmers to receive greater prices for their coffees to then invest back in their farms and their families, looking to the future.
Carmo help support the quality aspect by providing the use of agronomist engineers and technicians to help farmers produce a higher quality cherry. This also reduces the farmers risk with the processing being centralised, limiting outside factors that could spoil the coffee and effect their yearly incomes.
At the Beneficio there is a wet mill, 2 double pulping stations and 9 mechanical driers. In 2015 they worked with 1000 partner farmers, but the plant has the potential to operate with up to 4000 producers in the future. Carmo also take extended care of the environment, making sure they are good stewards of the land they use from Fazenda Floresta, as well as promoting these practices to the farmers they work with. Right now, 40% of the land is designated for Permanent Environmental Preservation.
The lot we have selected is made up from 9 farms in the area, that all deliver to the Beneficio:
1) Farm: Sitio São Bartolomeu Producer: José Claudio Pimentel
2) Farm: Sitio Bela Vista Producer: Rodrigo de Melo Souza
3) Farm: Sitio Vargem Grande Producer: Edimar Afonso de Souza
4) Farm: Sitio Cocho Velho Producer: Silvanei de Souza
5) Sitio Nossa Senhora Aparecida Producer: Jose Alexandre da Costa
6) Farm: Sitio Agua Limpa Producer: Oliveira Ildefonso da Silva
7) Farm: Sitio Vilela Producer: Ronie Junho Vilela
8) Farm: Sitio São Domingos Producer: Geovani Carlos Guerra
9) Farm: Sitio Capelinha Producer: Evandro & Jose Diogo Bueno